So yeah. It's not technically 2015 yet, as this post is publishing on the last day of 2014. But still. Twenty Fifteen. Two zero one five. It's a year I'm really, really looking forward to.
I thought I'd set some goals here, and then try to keep myself accountable here throughout the year. Because, as you'll note if you read below, one of my goals is to blog a little bit more.
- Write 30-40k per month--totally sounds like (and is) a lot, but it's necessary because of the next one:
- Stick to my 2015 publication outline/schedule (to be shared soon--but five books is the goal!)
- Read a wider variety of diverse books
- Make a dent in my massive TBR (including, but so not limited to a few of the ones I've been dying to get to: Lies We Tell Ourselves by Robin Talley, One, Two, Three by Elodie Nowodazkij, Mortal Heart by Robin LaFevers, Make it Count by Megan Erickson, All Broke Down by Cora Carmack, The Only Thing to Fear by Caroline Tung Richmond, Star Cursed and Sisters' Fate by Jessica Spotswood, ... Oh man, I could go on and on and on, and these are just off the top of my head--and they're all waiting for me on my kindle or in hard copy (or both, ha)...
- Read more, in general
- Celebrate successes of my writing friends, because I just know there are a ton coming just around the corner!! (I'm especially looking at you, my querying loves and on submission sweeties!! And, of course my debut and sophomore and whatever's the term for after that book coming out friends!!)
- Blog at least twice a month. Which, I know, is like a super lame goal but considering my current track record, uh...
- Paint my nails more. I know, also kind of a stupid goal. But... I love nail polish. I have approximately eleventy billion bottles and I've been slacking the past few years. (Pregnancy, motherhood, etc) So. I'm upping my np game again. Plus, I have more fun typing all the words when there are pretty colored nails flying over the keyboard.
- Better personal hygiene during weeks when I'm heavy drafting. Okay, yeah. This is kind of gross that I need to write it down. But I learned in December (when I wrote 30k+ in ONE week) that I need to set it. Because sometimes if you can't remember the last time you showered, it's more than three days and that's just scary.
- Clean/declutter my house once a week. (HUGE goal here, trust me.)
- Get SOME sort of exercise at least twice a week. (Preferably more.)
- Be better at catching up with my email inbox (dies laughing at the probability of this goal...)
And for some more personal ones, the most important, I believe:
- Choose the kind option. Seriously. I believe in kindness (which, duh, who doesn't?) but I can honestly say I've worked hard the past few years to push it into one of my core values and...it's starting to stick. I think. I mean, not that I'm never unkind, because yeah I totally can be. But I've found that doing my best to keep my thoughts and my words kind really has made a difference in how natural those things now come to me. (SO not trying to toot my own horn about it, either. Just sharing. And, hell, those who know me best also know I can be a super jerkface. There's a lot of progress still to be made here and probably always will be.)
- Similarly, continue working on my ability/desire to empathize.
- Stay true to myself, both in career life and real life. Not that career life isn't real life, but you know what I mean.
- Love my family and never, ever lose sight of the fact that they're the most important part of my life, no matter what else happens.
That's it. For now. I'm sure as soon as this goes live, I'll think of like thirty things to add because I have a thing about making lists, in that I love doing it and always want to add just one more thing.
What are your goals for the new year??
I hope everyone had a lovely holiday season and I wish you all a happy, happy new year!
Cheers to 2015!